On 2016-02-29 17:12, Stephanie Daugherty wrote:
> Just to clarify about "default" desktop environment and what that actually
> means.
>
> The "default" desktop environment is the one that gets squeezed onto the
> first CD/DVD of a set of installation media, as well as the one that's
> installed if you just click "desktop environment" in tasksel without
> specifying. As far as Debian has been concerned, that's all it means. It
> provides a strong suggestion to live CD/DVD creators of what desktop to
> include, but no guarantee anyone will follow that suggestion. I'm assuming
> the same thing will hold true for Devuan.

I just wanted to say that I agree with you, Stephanie. I certainly can't find any fault in your thinking.

Everyone has been discussing XFCE on the list for a bit now. I agree that XFCE's future is somewhat cloudy at present, because of GTK2. It is also true that every DE has some hang-up. X11 has no standard desktop, so there is no end to this debate, and that is as it should be.

Just my opinion, but if I had to pick a Devuan Default, it would probably be XFCE because:

1. Out of the box, it can provide a familiar design. Most people understand a taskbar and the window buttons.

2. The balance of dependencies versus functionality is at a very attractive ratio.

3. A far smaller install/footprint compared to the more common DEs.

4. It provides a built in compositor. While this may not seem like a selling point, tear free video is very important to a good impression with the average person.

5. It can easily be reconfigured to suit virtually anyone - new users to programmers.

6. Most importantly, the code base is very mature. When I have had other DEs fail (even on Debian Stable) XFCE is the one I can always trust to not let me down.

I don't know if Devuan has inherited the 4.10 packaged in Debian, but I would heartily recommend 4.12, because the 4.12 has a significant upgrade to how multiple monitors are handled.