Le 22/04/2016 18:01, Simon Hobson a écrit :
Gregory Nowak <g...@gregn.net> wrote:

On a related note, I recently had to replace my almost 20-year-old hp
laserJet 5l because the part that broke couldn't be replaced. So, I
replaced it with a samsung m28253dw. I was struggling to configure
everything how I wanted through a less than fully accessible web
interface, and found myself wishing more than once during the process
that the darned printer had a telnet interface or something more
straight forward.
Ah yes, the "joys" of "interesting" GUI design. I've worked with Samsung printers, and
generally not been *too* bothered by the GUI - but then I'm used to working with all sorts of stuff, some
good, some ... well lets just say "not very good".

The Technicolor router I had the misfortune to work with today is another matter - should
be one of those : first day in the UI design class, tutor shows students a hall of shame,
with the sage words "here's how not to do it". Took obfuscation of useful stuff
to a whole new level I've not seen for some time.

You can configure cups through the web interface or by editing the config files. Editing the config files is easy, apart from understanding the meaning of the variables from their names. But there are howtos. For one-time actions like resuming operation of a printer, I don't know how to do it but with the web interface.

    Didier