Hi,

I've been heavily involved in Open Source 3D Printing since 2015.
It took seven or eight months for me to build the first Reprap 3D Printer. The second one I bought as a kit took two days.

What I learned is when Open Source software meets Open Source hardware, only the sky is limit. Frankly speaking money is not an issue anymore. I probably saved $4,000 by building two 3D Printers. The 3rd one, a large 3D Printer that I've been designing would save me at least $5,000+.

Software I use:

Arduino IDE - firmware build / modification
Marlin firmware
Pronterface - 3D Printing job and 3D Printer control
Slic3r - generate a Gcode file for printing models
OpenSCAD - design 3D models
QCAD - DXF file conversion for laser cutting

Essential software for 3D Printing in Devuan.

Xorg OpenGL driver

Arduino IDE

All Open Source firmwares basically support Arduino based controller boards. Arduino became the de facto standard in RepRap community. Arduino IDE makes you build or modify a firmware such as Marlin or Repetier.

Host program

The host program controls the 3D Printer. It provides all the features of controlling 3D Printer and printing jobs.

Pronterface (http://www.pronterface.com/)
It requires dbus, python packages for OpenGL, gnome2.

Repetier-host (http://www.repetier.com)
It requires the complete mono framework package.

Slicer

It reads 3D model files to generate the Gcode file settings for the 3D Printer.

Slic3r (http://slic3r.org/)
Cura (https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software)

3D Modeling program

You can use any 3D modeling or CAD program that generates STL file format.

OpenSCAD (http://www.openscad.org/)
You write a script to build a model. Once a model is done, modification of the model is quick and simple by changing variables compared to hundred thousands of mesh data.

blender (https://www.blender.org/)
I rarely use it.

2D CAD program

QCAD (http://www.qcad.org/en/)

It generates DXF files compatible with laser cutter.
OpenSCAD's DXF export removes circle data (radius and coordinate of the center) which a laser cutting company I dealt with rejected twice.