Lars Noodén <lars.noo...@gmail.com> writes:
> On 06/17/2016 09:36 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> [snip]
>> Unfortunately, system initialisation is really a bit more complicated
>> than that, whether you like it or not.
> [snip]
>
> Is there a concise summary somewhere of what system initialization
> entails?  Or is it dependent on accumulated experience and not codified?

This depends heavily on what the system is supposed to do. Eg, something
fairly specialized running a single application could just run the
application as sole process instead of init. For something more general,
there'll be a static initialization step which will usually include
creating an initial filesystem namespace by mounting some set of
filesystems (some virtual, eg, proc and sys, others residing on real
devices) and my also include configuring some set of network
interfaces. Afterwards, a set of programs performing various functions
is started, eg, web server, name server, ssh server or so-called gettys
enabling interactive logins without going over a network.