Thank you, Matt. I appreciate the feedback. I've filed a couple bugs against mysql-server and mariadb-server. Either they should depend on some syslog or they should their installation scripts should be written to detect a logger and function accordingly.

Hopefully someone will get a move on. If not, I've got gafer tape in place. Actually it's probably more like chewing gum...!

Cheers,

Simon