On 24/08/16 11:13, Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 21:47:41 -0400
Clarke Sideroad <clarke.sider...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think kdbus is dead due to the bad press, but I believe there is
bus1 coming along to replace that.
https://github.com/bus1/bus1
http://www.bus1.org/

Some familiar names, but possibly not directly part of systemd........

Clarke

DANGER Will Robinson. From the COPYING document:

COPYRIGHT: (ordered alphabetically)
Copyright (C) 2014-2015 Red Hat, Inc.
AUTHORS: (ordered alphabetically)
David Herrmann <dh.herrm...@gmail.com>
Tom Gundersen <t...@jklm.no>

And from Wikipedia's systemd page:

Original author(s)
Lennart Poettering, Kay Sievers, Harald
Hoyer, Daniel Mack, Tom Gundersen and David Herrmann

These saboteurs just won't quit. It's our job to get out the word so
bus1 fares no better than kdbus, because Lennart bragged about his
plans when he gets the kernel to enforce use of systemd.

I'm not worried. Mantra from get-go has been "Don't break userspace". If there is a valid use-case for a feature there will be plenty of opposition to it's removal.

What is the best way of getting the word out?

I wouldn't worry. You are not giving anyone involved in kernel development enough credit if you honestly believe this will fly under the radar and people won't notice.

Banging drums and putting forth objections based on some names and conjecture will simply get you roundly ridiculed and then ignored by those that actually matter. kdbus was not rejected on politics, it was rejected on technical merit quite validly by those who care. If bus1 hasn't rectified _all_ of those objections and can demonstrate a real requirement then it won't get past the gate.

The mistake with kdbus was it was a shit design with the sole purpose of papering over existing shit design in dbus user space, and because the systemd folk have Greg KH on board they assumed they'd just be able to slip more shit into the kernel without question. People who actually knew better stepped up and nak'd it on technical grounds.

If bus1 really has technical merit, can demonstrate it solves real problems and has all its shortcomings addressed there is no reason it shouldn't be integrated into the kernel. They can't then just go and remove netlink to spite non-systemd users. It has an existing userspace and other use cases.