Hendrik Boom writes:
Worst is probably the connections that seem to be wide open, but aren't. The ones where you have to open a browser and look for a page and get an interception page instead asking for your credentials.

Those are detectable: Open http://wlanhelper.devuan.org/<random>.html in the background when joining any open WLAN, and if that returns anything but 404, then either open a browser if exactly one user is logged in and has an X console, or else ifdown.

I'll submit a patch if that bit of the code devuan-specific and the patch is welcome. (I have no particular desire to touch debian's patch process.)

Arnt