On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 08:14:25PM +0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:

[cut]

> It's related with ATI cards, but with the newer kernel than yours, so...
>
> (And there are some issues with some Nvidia cards on Gentoo users ML too.)
>
> Certainly, blank screen can indicate problems with graphics card...

If this is the case, using a lowres vga mode should solve the
problem. It must be possible to pass "vga=ask" to the kernel line, and
get a list of vga mode available. Just select a standard 80x25

However, it seems that the boot stops when the kernel tries to
decompress the initrd, so technically speaking the screen is not blank
(the user reported that he could see something before the boot
stopped), so I would probably prefer to think that it's an issue with
initrd...

My2Cents

KatolaZ