On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 01:22:17PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

[cut]

> Where can I find complete documentation for apt-*?

As usual, the complete documentation is to be found by means of:

  man apt-get
  man apt-cache
  man apt-mark

But in general you will just need:

- apt-get install package (...)
- apt-get remove package (...)
- apt-get purge package (like remove, but also purges config files)
- apt-get update (update the list of available packages from repos)
- apt-get upgrade (upgrade all packages you can)
- apt-get dist-upgrade (like upgrade, but also installs new version of
          existing packages and manages the corresponding deps)

- apt-get autoremove (remove all packages which are not required by any
                     manually installed package)

- apt-cache search something (search "something" among all package
                     descriptions. "something" can be a POSIX regex(7))

- dpkg --search /bin/ls (which package has installed "/bin/ls"?)

- dpkg -L package (which files have been installed by "package"?)

> In particular, is there an option I can place on an install or remove command
> that
> will report what it is going to do without actually doing it?

apt-get install --simulate package

HND

KatolaZ