Browsers.  What a mess.

I've beed using Devuan since alpha-2.

I had to stop using chrome when support wsa suddenly dropped for my
platform -- 32-bit linux.  This after I had increased my RAM from one
to two gigibytes and recovered decent performance.

I switched to firefox.  FOr a while there was confusion in the devuan
xfce desktop as to how to start it -- there's an icon at the bottom of
the screen and a menu item in the applicaations menu under internet
(actually sometimes there were tow of these menu items) Sometimes one
would work, someties another.  Now both icon nd menu item workk.

But firefox sometimes get crazy slow -- so slow I get no feedbak
whether I've properly clicked on a menu item or icon or some
such.  I've recently discovereed that killall firfox-esr will kill it,
and when I restart it offers to reestablish all ite tabs it had
before, and after that procedure it's usable again.  Memory leak
perhaps?

I've tried Midori.  But I frequently use the browser to look at files
on my local filesystem but it seems to sort directory listings into
random order, which can make entries hard to find.  And I don't know
how to import bookmarks from my other browsers.  For me, these
together are showstoppers.

My real problem with Midori is that I can find neither documentation
nor a discussion forum in which issues like these are aired.  Given
this, I might be able to solve these problems.

Are there other Devuan-packaged lightweight browsers anyone might
recommend?  I may switch to chromium, but I doubt that it's
lightweight.

And speaking of bookmarks, each browser seems to jealously hang on to
its bookmarks, unless perhaps another browser manages to sneak in like
a thief and import them.  Is this the way browsers cement their grip
on users?  Isn't there any way of setting up bookmarks
so that multiple browsers and other tools can use them?

-- hendrik