On 14-04-17 11:20, KatolaZ wrote:
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:57:01AM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
wrote:

[cut]

* srvmgt_daemonize()
   --> detach from controlling terminal, etc
* srvmgt_droppriv(...)
   --> drop root privileges (if we are still root)
   --> several versions, eg. with fetching the target uid/gid from env
* srvmgt_report_state(...)
   --> report the service state to the supervisor
   --> states could be eg.
        * SRVMGT_STATE_STARTUP     -- still within the startup phase
        * SRVMGT_STATE_READY_LOCAL -- ready for local clients only
        * SRVMGT_STATE_READY_ALL   -- ready for all clients
        * SRVMGT_STATE_BUSY        -- too busy to process new requests
        * SRVMGT_STATE_SHUTDOWN    -- shutting down, still finishing
                                       queued requests
        * SRVMGT_STATE_DEFERRED    -- temporarily can't accept new
                                       requests (eg. overload)
        * SRVMGT_STATE_WAITING     -- wait for resource (eg. printer
                                       needs paper or ink)
        * SRVMGT_STATE_OFFLINE     -- completely offline (eg. due some
                                       fatal error)

For start, we'd just write a small library, that logs to syslog,
perhaps maintains some pidfiles (maybe even a *compile-time* option
to route directly to libsystemd), then patch up packages that currently
use libsystemd to use our new one.

I personally don't see why one would like to redo libsystemd0 from
scratch, as you seem so kee of doing.

Go on down your path, but I suspect not many people would cheer at you
in this camp...

HND

KatolaZ
I am too do not see a reason to redo libsystemd0 but we can think about maintaining a Devuan version of libsystemd0. To ease the maintenance of packages depending on those basic api requests. We simply cannot trust the debian version but a Devuan version should be trustworthy.

Grtz,

Nick