On 15 June 2017 at 19:35, KatolaZ <kato...@freaknet.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 01:18:30PM +1000, Tom wrote:
> > I've been having issues upgrading a standard Devuan Jessie install to
> > Ascii.  During upgrade, the task-xfce4-desktop package gets uninstalled
> and
> > can't be installed afterwards due to dependency problems.
> >
> > Jessie has tasksel=3.33+devuan1.0 and Ascii has tasksel=3.33+devuan0.3
> > which is preventing task-xfce4-desktop from being installed in Ascii.
> This
> > is also causing a number of xfce4-* and other packages to be marked as
> not
> > required and removable with apt-get autoremove.
> >

> [cut]

> >  task-xfce-desktop : Depends: tasksel (= 3.33+devuan0.3) but
> 3.33+devuan1.0
> > is to be installed
> >                      Depends: xfce4 but it is not going to be installed
> >                      Recommends: xfce4-mixer but it is not installable
> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> >

> Hi Tom,
>
> the unmet dependency there might not be tasksel (which is a virtual
> package) rather a chain of deps which goes down to dbus. Since an
> updated version of dbus is now available in ascii's repos, you should
> be able to dist-upgrade to ascii (we will come back to tasksel as
> well, in due course).
>
> My2Cents
>
> KatolaZ

Hi Katola,

I did the upgrade to Ascii yesterday before I sent the email after reading
about the dbus
package updates, so yes the dist-upgrade works but ends up with the large
number of
packages set for removal. Apologies for not mentioning that previously.

tasksel doesn't appear to be a virtual package here.  Is there any reason
why tasksel
in jessie has a higher version than tasksel in ascii?  It will work if I
purge and reinstall
the tasksel package back to the lower version, but this shouldn't be
required.

root@devuan:~# dpkg --compare-versions 3.33+devuan1.0 gt 3.33+devuan0.3
root@devuan:~# echo $?
0
root@devuan:~# dpkg --compare-versions 3.33+devuan1.0 lt 3.33+devuan0.3
root@devuan:~# echo $?
1

On another note, since devuan doesn't yet have an interface similar to that
of
packages.debian.org, can I trust the output of "apt-cache policy" to tell
me what's
really in the master archive? I would like to ensure that I'm not getting
incorrect package
information for each release here from a misconfigured mirror somewhere.

-- Tom