Le 21/06/2017 à 08:32, Bruce Perens a écrit :
It's because the community that GNOME is serving is /not you. /And it is very, very important for Free Software to serve a community that is not like us!

With all due respect, I think there is a confusion here about the word "free" in "free software".

I agree with your first sentence only: they aren't working for us. But I don't think it is important for Free Software. It is important for their future customers, but not for Free Software because it is not Free Software: it's Gratuitous Software - Gratuitous for now.

If I understand correctly, what Gnome people are doing is to try to take the market share of Apple and Microsoft with a gratuitous (and supposedly higher quality) product. "Gratuitous" but not "libre", far from being "libre", as it is becoming more and more clear.

You support this mission they gave to themselve, and this is absolutely respectable. But their software is not designed for a free OS like Devuan. It has SystemD at its heart; it is not intended to work without it, otherwise they would provide themeselve sans-systemd compilation options.

By trying to adapt Gnome to Devuan wouldn't you betray not only Devuan, but primarily Gnome?

    Didier