On 21-08-17 06:30, Rick Moen wrote:
Quoting Steve Litt (sl...@troubleshooters.com):

As a wee lad, my mentors told me never to put two of the same model
NICs in a computer, because which one became eth0 and which became eth1
would be indeterminate from boot to boot.
It's funny you'll say that, and not just because we're both old enough
that advice we got as 'wee lads' would probably have to involve
sliderules.  I'll get back to that, later.

That's horrible, and that *is* solved by the systemd naming scheme.
I find myself in the position of being a little unconvinced about the
extent and seriousness of the problem, even though I don't have
exhaustive data, only a few decades of *ix experience to draw on.
Let me try to draw a distinction with some nuance, here:  To the best of
my knowledge -- and my knowledge might be incomplete or unaware of some
new developments -- 'spontaneous' network device renaming, just like
spontaneous mass storage device renaming, happens _only_ following
admin-initiated hardware reshuffles.
---snip

I do remember this switching of network cards happened spurious on SME-Server 8 (a RHEL based SMB distribution for e-mail, fileserver and firewall with a webinterface). With other distro's like Suse, Debian, Ubuntu and Mandrake i never have seen this happen.

Grtz.

Nick