On 23/10/17 15:59, Patrick Meade wrote:

As John Hughes said, this isn't quite as bad as we originally thought. We can still run redis-server with the Debian provided sysvinit script, and Debian isn't throwing away upstream files for no reason.

Also note that the upstream init script example doesn't support the Debian hook scripts.  Perhaps upstream don't think that's useful functionality?

However, it's not all sunshine and flowers either. The daemon state change hooks are removed in the latest Debian package. If someone had a script that pre-loaded data into the redis cache on daemon start, or fired off a backup of the persistent store on daemon stop, these scripts would no longer be called when redis goes up/down.

Given that there is no documentation for these scripts other than the Debian changelog is anyone using them?