taii...@gmx.com writes:
No you aren't.

Intel ME + "Secure" boot non-owner controlled firmware code signing enforcement (probably hardware enforced via boot guard, so one couldn't even spend the thousands to have it removed via a coreboot platform port)

If you can't execute whatever you please on all the processors then it isn't yours.

It sounds good when you put it like that. But you're telling someone who has added an easter egg to a very widely used open source package, and noone ever found it. I didn't even try to hide or obfuscate that, still, noone ever found it (or at least mentioned it on any of the relevant lists etc). I know a maintainer who put something controversial in the code he was maintaining, too. None of his users noticed until he removed it himself.

He and I could both put code on millions of people's systems that none of them discovered. He hid his stuff in an unrelated commit, I didn't bother even with that. Noone noticed. That's how effective open source is at revealing to hardware owners what software they actually run.

You personally don't even known to within a factor of ten how many lines of source code are installed on your most-used linux box. Am I right? Closed-software users don't know, you don't know either. The control you think you have is mostly an illusion.

Arnt