Hi,

m712 writes:

> On October 28, 2017 11:22:49 AM GMT+03:00, Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com>
> wrote:
>>(But sure, fixing the runit-init package
>>would be a nice-to-have.)
> I have a proposal for this. Basically, have an install script which does
> something like this (I'm not familiar with the Debian packaging scripts so
> assume it's sh):

Install scripts should not assume anything wrt the shell they're using
when OR explicitly state what shell they expect (and where necessary add
an appropriate Pre-Depends).  In practice, it's easier to fix your
install script to be /bin/sh compatible.

On Debian/Devuan, /bin/sh defaults to dash.

> # if upgrading, this doesn't run
> if [ "$(pgrep runit -o)" != "1" ]; then
>   mv -f /sbin/shutdown{,.old}
>   mv -f /sbin/reboot{,.old}

Those are bashisms and won't work with dash

  olaf@quark:~$ /bin/sh
  $ mv test{,.new}
  mv: missing destination file operand after ‘test{,.new}’
  Try 'mv --help' for more information.

So, stop trying to be smart ;-) and just say

  mv -f /sbin/shutdown /sbin/shutdown.old
  mv -f /sbin/reboot /sbin/reboot.old

or

  for f in /sbin/shutdown /sbin/reboot; do
    mv -f $f $f.old
  done

or something.

Moreover, I think something like this would be better handled using
Debian's alternatives mechanism.  See `man update-alternatives` for
details.

Hope this helps,