On 19/11/17 14:10, Jaromil wrote:
hi all

Can anyone clarify how /etc/rc.local is being removed in Debian 9?

I got this from rumors in bitcoin's core development, since I'm not
subscribed to Debian lists. The rumor is confirmed by some online
debates on gitlab and stack overflow.

Can someone point out to the decision process for this?

Following up after the conversation on redis, when we had the elected
Debian leader chiming in here to defend his position and keep deleting
init.d scripts, I still believe this is again "even worst than I
thought" and it is "vandalism".

This will certainly keep playing in favor of our fork since
no-nonsense people will come this way, but is very painful to see
Debian's users are being mistreated to this point.

What is happening, and is a pattern, is that parts of Debian that work
well and are widely used by people are being arbitrarily removed. This
doesn't make Debian "universal" anymore, while betraying once again
its mandate of respecting user's freedom. Noone can trust Debian if it
keeps changing things that work for some, just because of imposing a
new thing that others like. Well beyond and nothwitstanding the
qualities of any free and open source software, Debian is clearly
harming another sort of freedom, the sort that was granted in the free
space we all knew rc.local has always been..

is there any internal discussion about such governance issues in
Debian? is there any hope the current leadership will change and
perhaps repair what this vandalism is breaking?

ciao

I run debian sid on my laptop. I don't know why it has been done but if I've understood what you need to know, this is how rc.local is now at the sharp end:-

/etc/init.d/rc.local

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rc.local
# Required-Start:    $all
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist
### END INIT INFO

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

. /lib/init/vars.sh
. /lib/lsb/init-functions

do_start() {
    if [ -x /etc/rc.local ]; then
            [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_begin_msg "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"
        /etc/rc.local
        ES=$?
        [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg $ES
        return $ES
    fi
}

case "$1" in
    start)
    do_start
        ;;
    restart|reload|force-reload)
        echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
    stop|status)
        # No-op
        exit 0
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0 start|stop" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
esac

+++++++++++++++++++++++

/etc/rc.local

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0