Hi,

Jaromil writes:

> On 19 November 2017 21:14:26 CET, Didier Kryn <k...@in2p3.fr> wrote:
>
>>Conclusion: initscripts profides the infrastructure to invoke
>>/etc/rc.local if it exists, but it doesn't provide an empty
>>/etc/rc.local.
>
> Ok, this is what I hoped and it still makes sense.
>
> IMHO deprecation means vandalism may happen
> in the future: some people should be vigilant and there
> should be already a clear statement and discussion
> about what this "deprecation" means.
>
> if it just means that /etc/rc.local is not created by default
> but processed if found executable, then it would be fine:
> some UNIX systems did that already in the past,
> but I am afraid the word "deprecation" means something else.

FYI, /etc/rc.local is created from initscripts.postinst on first install
and when upgrading from versions before "2.86.ds1-16".

Just because a file is not found by `dpkg -S` doesn't mean it is not
provided.  There are quite a number of files that are generated in
postinstall scripts.  Next time, before making rash accusations and
dreaming up conspiracy theories, take a *good* look.

Just a simple `grep -rl rc.local /var/lib/dpkg/info` is all that it took
me to find this out on my Devuan Jessie.  To cross check, I went over to
package.debian.org to have a look at their initscripts package.  stretch
has 2.88dsf-59.9, buster and sid have 2.88dsf-50.10.  Pulled the debian/
directory tarball and checked initscripts.postinst.  Nothing changed and
rc.local will still be created.

Crying wolf like this time and again is not doing Devuan any good.

FWIW, I just modified the /etc/rc.local on two of my Devuan ASCII
machines to fix up ownership on an ext4 mount and that worked just
fine.  But then again, initscripts *is* devuanized ;-)

Hope this helps,