On 22/11/17 11:42, Jaromil wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017, John Hughes wrote:

No way to do that?  Seriously?  No way at all?
jeez, is John a troll?

My little joke about the usefulness of the systemd journal in diagnosing the /etc/rc.local problem could conceivably be considered trolling.  The skirt-clutching replies to it could also be considered trolling.

I was amazed that KatolaZ couldn't imagine any way of reading text from a file without a special application, doesn't he have strings(1) on his "forensic system"?

it would explain his constant questions, keeping ignoring details that
are already explicit in the thread and wasting our time.

What explicit details have I ignored?  As far as I can see you've never provided any link to the original complaints about /etc/rc.local not being run, just some ill-informed rubbish on stackoverflow(!) about things being "deprecated".

You, personally, have repeatedly ignored information I provided, for example:

You: 2017-11-21 14:20 +100

is it the case that one must run two systemctl commands in order for
rc.local to be processed, or will rc.local just be found and executed?

Me: 2017-11-21 14:48 +100, in reply:

No, no systemctl commands are needed, systemd-rc-local-generator will
enable rc-local.service if /etc/rc.local is executable,

You, later in the same thread: 2017-11-21 15:19 +100

Then I believe we also agree that rc.local is a serious regressions?

Me, in reply:

What regression?

You: 2017-11-21 16:18 +100

the fact that besides creating it and making it executable, one must
also activate the service unit.

But I'd already told you that "no systemctl commands are needed"!