On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:00:44PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I just upgraded devuan from jessie to ascii.  I now have a new kernel.
>
> Now I'm used to, when a new kernel is installed, that the boot process
> is also updated to boot the new kernel.  But this has not happened.
>
> I still hae the same old /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which specified the same
> old kernel and initrd.
>
> Hand-editing this isn;t enough, becuase I also don't have a new initrd
> for the new kernel.

So I try

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-686-pae
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 66: .: Can't open /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-686-pae with 2.
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# ls /etc/initramfs-tools/
conf.d  initramfs.conf.dpkg-new     modules  update-initramfs.conf
hooks   initramfs.conf.dpkg-remove  scripts  update-initramfs.conf.dpkg-new
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

It looks as if no initrd is generated because there's no
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

And that because of an upgrade problem, either now or in the past.

This isn't good for novices trying to upgrade.  Will investigate.

-- hendrik