Thanks for the replies.  When I run the "spectre-meltdown-checker.sh"
script [github.com/speed47] I see that even using a recent kernel
[4.15-rc8] only Meltdown is covered.

The two mitigations for Spectre [IBRS or kernel compiled with "retpoline"
option with a retpoline-aware compiler] are harder for me to achieve.  The
latter requires a retpoline-aware version of gcc - did anyone try to make
one?  Even then, it seems I need "reptoline-aware" versions of things like
Firefox.

I have explored disabling javascript in Firefox on a per-site basis, but
this cannot be the future [devuan has old versions of Policy-Control addon
compared to [say] antix-17].  Early days.

I hate Intel for creating this mess and for the Management Engine fiasco.

I had been using a "libre" [de-blobbed] kernel.  Now I must use the blobby
4.15-rc8 kernel AND learn about firmware, which means per-arch /lib..?

jacksprat