On 31-01-18 01:03, Gregory Nowak wrote:
Hi again.

Thanks to KatolaZ for your reply to my libapache-mod-mono issue. Your
comment that I'd be surprised how many production systems are running
Ascii stuck with me, and so I took the plunge, and upgraded my
production system again from jessie to Ascii.

The good news is that the upgrade seems to have gone without
problems. I haven't rebooted yet since upgrading, but I will be doing
that a bit later once I finalize things. Another good news is that
libapache2-mod-mono is indeed back, and does seem to work like it
should.

The bad news is that now sqwebmail isn't working, and it still did
after my upgrade to jessie. I have a couple users who insist on using
webmail exclusively, so this is another big one for me. I am using
postfix as my MTA, and courier for imap. Using imap over ssl does
work, so I know that both that and the courier authentication library
authdaemond are working.

When I bring up cgi-bin/sqwebmail, I get this:

"System unavailable                               System unavailable

    The web page you're trying to access is not available at this time.
    Please try again later.

    (connect: Permission denied)"

My apache logs and mail logs don't show anything unusual. I have also
restarted the sqwebmaild service, and that restarted without
errors. The interesting thing is that when I stop the sqwebmaild
service, I get the same web page. So, I suspect this has something to
do with how the sqwebmail web frontend communicates with the
sqwebmaild service. I haven't looked at the sqwebmail source code, and
a few web searches don't bring up anything explaining how the
communication takes place. Web searches on sqwebmail permission
denied and sqwebmail connect don't bring up anything useful either.

There is one thing I changed after the sqwebmail install. It symlinks
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/sqwebmail to /usr/lib/courier/courier/webmail/webmail. Since
I don't follow symlinks from cgi-bin, I simply copied
/usr/lib/courier/courier/webmail/webmail to
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/sqwebmail. The courier docs indicate I can copy the
sqwebmail binary to where ever my cgi-bin scripts live. The
permissions for sqwebmail I have are:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14328 May  8  2017 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/sqwebmail

This is the same as for the installed webmail binary in
/usr/lib/courier/courier/webmail/webmail.

To see if there is a difference, I uninstalled the sqwebmail package
that comes with Ascii, and installed the one that comes with jessie,
but that doesn't help. So whatever is causing this, doesn't seem to be
specific to the sqwebmail package.

Again, any suggestions on what else to look at are appreciated before
I find a courier list, or build sqwebmail from source, which should be
a bit better than rebuilding apache. Of course, it's possible a reboot is
all I need, but I don't see what real difference that would
make. Thanks.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Do you load the cgi module and is /etc/apache2/conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf included and enabled in your configuration files?

Grtz

Nick