I have thought the whole issue of his supposed suicide was murky.  If you
ever heard/watched any of his lectures or read any of his writings
regarding the early days of Linux and Debian, he never struck me remotely
as being high strung and suicidal.  His death was a complete shock to many
people.  He had just started a new career direction with the Docker folks,
and things looked bright for him, both personally and professionally.  I
guess his death will fade into a strange mystery with time, much like the
assassination of JFK. He indicated in interviews, going back to 2000 or so,
that he preferred to stay out of politics and focus on technical issues.
That his death came soon after the systemd controversy went viral is
certainly "interesting", though it had been many years since his direct
involvement with the Debian distribution.  I really miss the guy, as he was
such a great contributor both technically and as a historical source in
regard to Linux and the Open Software movement.

Curt Vaughan