Laast I heard here about btrfs is that it's recommended for use only bu
those who "know where the bodies are buried".

I am planning a migration of my files to a new server, and I'd ike to
know where the bodies are buried.

I surmise that this means the thing is very reliable if you only she
certain features -- presumably its equivalents of RAID0 and RAID1.

RAID1 is what I need.  The advantage I would gain from btrfs over
software RAID + ext4 is its checksumming.  I plan to keep my filesystem
safe from bitrot for a decade or two.  (After that it will fall to my
heirs to preserve or abandon the files.  I will be beyond caring.)

Now I have the fortune or misfortune (I don't know which yet) to have
a GnuBee 2, waiting in its box to be assembled.  The online page
https://lwn.net/Articles/743609/ tells me that it works with kernel
"Linux 3.10.14 with lots of changes", and that many of the changes have
*not* made it into the mainline kernel.  There is also a "4.4.87-based
kernel", reported as not reliable.

So I'd really like to know how much of btrfs is reliable now, and how
much was reliable back in the days of the 3.10.14 kernel.

(As yet, of course, I don't even know whether btrfs is in any of gnubee's
kernels.)

-- hendrik