On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 09:25:52AM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 11:42:06PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
>
> this simply re-establishes the same default as in Jessie.

Which is a regression from Debian, IMO.  net-tools have been deprecated for
so long, that I believe they should have been removed from the default
install at least a decade ago, instead of letting people dig themselves
deeper into the hole and try to use it.

> This does not solve the bug in wicd, which is due to the maintainer
> believing that net-tools would have remained Priority: important

Well, debates about the priority of net-tools are irrelevant to this bug.
Papering it over in _some_ cases don't help fixing it.

> > > Actually, the Debian source package still has the correct Priority:
> > > important, while the binary strangely has Priority: optional ...o_O It
> > > must have been a last-minute override in Stretch.
> >
> > It's only the override file what matters, the field in binary (not source)
> > packages affects only the initial value; all updates currently need to be
> > done by hand.  That's an artefact of the way DAK works.
>
> This is why I see dak as a quite big overcomplication.

I agree here; there's no real gain in being able to change priority without
a sourceful upload.

DAK conflates two pieces of information: "is package X allowed in the
archive (or does it need to go to NEW)?" and "what's the priority field".
It'd be nice to disentangle the two, but no one volunteers to do so, and
I for one have my hands in too many pies already to do an adequate job for
what I committed myself to doing, thus there's no way I go fixing this...

> Debian is making a lot of fuss around "reproducible builds", and then
> almost any property of the package you have just reproducibly built can
> have been mangled with by dak just before entering the repo, effectively
> making your package function *differently* from the stock package you get
> from Debian's repos...

Uhm, nope.  On stretch:

apt download wicd
dpkg-deb -I net-tools_1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1_amd64.deb

The .deb is unmodified from what was built.  The override affects only apt's
list; the package is bit-to-bit identical with what you'd get by building it
with the same build-dep versions (although I'm not sure if reproducible
toolchain was in place for stretch).

The package functions the same once installed, it just doesn't get installed
by default.

> > > Please test the "new" package. I guess we will include the
> > > ascii-proposed version in ascii straight away.
> >
> > Without even looking, I can tell you it won't work: priority:Important
> > packages don't get included on existing installs (neither on upgrades nor
> > when you install wicd on a machine that used no or another way to set up
> > wifi).  net-tools will be also absent on minimal installs.
>
> It will work on new installations, and re-establishes the same default
> as in Jessie.

Only within straightforward use cases.  I can tell you about a certain piece
of software that is also advertised to work adequately in straightforward
use cases, but I guess its name is a swear word here. :)

> There is no way to force a package in an existing ASCII
> installation, besides forking, rebuilding

If, for a distribution, rebuilding a package with a single-word diff, is an
issue, then it's a far bigger problem than bad deps of wicd.

> and maintaining wicd as well.

As I understand, Devuan would need to keep rebuilding wicd for the lifetime
of stretch/ascii in case of security and point release updates -- but those
are pretty rare, and expected number of such updates for a package that's
not imagemagick or libxml is very close to 0.  There's no extra burden as
you already need to set up some kind of notification for every package you
modified.

> Do you volunteer to do that?  That would be helpful.

Alas, I don't use stretch/ascii on any keyboard-attached machines, thus I'm
not a good person to handle old versions of wicd.  I also don't know
Devuan's workflow enough.

Molesting wicd's maintainer about a stable update, so it's fixed in both
stretch and ascii, could be a good idea, though.

> > This is #881225 by the way, fixed in buster but not stretch.
>
> Great, but ASCII merges stretch, not Buster, you know....

At least you know it's not an issue for Beowulf. :)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.