This is just to remind everyone that wicd isn't necessary - at least if it doesn't provide anything more than wifi config.

    I've been living without it - and without network-manager - for many years. All I need is wpa_spplicant and wpa_gui.

    Put the following line in wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=dialout
update_config=1

    Then make yourself a member of group dialout

    Put the following in your /etc/network/interfaces - I know it's deprecated, but it just works.

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
        wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

iface default inet dhcp

    Now everytime you want to connect to a new wifi station, open wpa_gui; it's intuitive. If you want wpa_supplicant to remember that station, then save the config.

    If you have both Ethernet and wifi, then you also need ifplugd. I know it's potterware, but it works and is still not infected by the disease.

    Done.

                Didier