Am 14. März 2018 10:49:21 MEZ schrieb Didier Kryn <k...@in2p3.fr>:

>      Dear Florian, I agree with you that it is nice to enable the
> software to ask the devices what their properties are, by some
> protocol.

Hallo Didier,

just to avoid confusion: this was not my point, but Menelaos Maglis's. I just
tried to figure out that the basics of printing (like most things in computong)
are a quite simple thing: pushing ones and zeroes.

Besides that: Of course, in bandwidth-limited environments, it is more
effective to send some (K)B of vectors over the network, than a >15MB bitmap
(letter@only1200dpi) to print the usually quite empty page 2 of some essay and
let the printer do the rendering.

I guess that's part of why we are here: To restore the original meaning of
"economical" :-)

libre Grüße,

Florian

--