Hi,

fsmithred writes:

> On 04/01/2018 10:29 AM, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
>> Hi,

>> [...]
>>> Nothing installs to /lib anymore, because it's just a symlink to /usr/lib.
>>> You can get this on ascii with a debootstrap install.
>>
>> Well, that is only true if you have the pöttering usrmerge package
>> installed. If you do a minimal ascii bootstrap, you don't get infected
>> by that package.
>>
>> The pöttering followers invented that to break all installations with
>> separate /usr. In fact, that package damages your whole system
>> sustainably.
>>
>> Regards
>>    Klaus
>> --
>
> The usrmerge package is not installed here. I can't find it mentioned in
> apt history or bootstrap.log.  It's only in buster/beowulf and sid/ceres.
> Guess I'll have to do another debootstrap of ascii and see if it's still
> happening.

FTR, debootstrap has --merged-usr and --no-merged-usr options, with the
latter documented[1] as the default, since jessie-backports (which has
debootstrap-1.0.89).

 [1]: https://manpages.debian.org/debootstrap

Not one to overly rely on default for "stuff that matters", my Devuan
Docker image build scripts explicitly specify it in their debootstrap
invocation[2].  Please note that these runs in a Debian jessie container
that has been migrated to Devuan and uses debootstrap-1.0.87 which also
has these options.

 [2]: https://gitlab.com/paddy-hack/devuan/blob/master/bootstrap.sh#L18

Hope this helps,