On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 06:42:57PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 05:21:50PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 06:05:09AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> > > I was recently suprised to observe network interfaces
> > > (wlan0 and eth0) going up without my issuing commands for
> > > it. I'd disable an interface, then see it go right back up.
> >
> > Joel, unfortunately this is the problem with "smart" tools for network
> > management: they think they know what is good for you, all the
> > time. Both wicd and nm are particularly bad at that, since they try to
> > manage network state accordingto what they have been told in their
> > config, despite anything. Dunno about conman, but I guess it works
> > along the same lines.
>
> This is actually very puzzling: what we want, is a wrapper for iw which
> seeks available wifi networks, and provides a GUI to choose one.  The only
> reason such a tool would ever look at eth0 is to see if its link is up, and
> if so, skip wifi unless explicitly told to connect anyway.
>
> So why do authors of such tools feel the need to control the state of
> non-wifi interfaces?

You can make nm to not handle interfaces listed in
/etc/network/interfaces. Just ensure that
/etc/Networkmanager/NetworkManager.conf contains:

[main]
plugins=ifupdown

[ifupdown]
managed=false

I think this is default config anyway. Additionally there is a "keyfile"
plugin which had a "unmanaged-devices" option. See manpage for details.

--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51