On 04-06-18 22:45, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 08:47:36PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> KatolaZ <kato...@freaknet.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Whatever people say on twitter, Microsoft has never changed and never
>>> will. It's the same company that stole BASIC. The same company that
>>> stole DOS.
>> While I am no fan of MS and it's tactics, they didn't steal DOS. They bought
>> it outright for what the person selling it accepted as a fair price. It's an
>> interesting story of how one decision changed the direction of the software
>> world, and one of those points in history where with the benefit of 20:20
>> hindsight it's easy to say "he did WHAT !"
> You are right: they "bought" DOS from a "third party" which had
> developed DOS out of an unlicensed source version of Digital Research
> CP/M, and called it MS-DOS.
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

If memory serves me well they bought QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating
System or Quick Disk Operation System). According to some sources it was
a clever move because they allready had a deal with IBM before they
bought QDOS.

I do not have strong opinions about Microsoft buying Github. Just the
notion that paying such amount of money means some strategic move which
will not necessarily means it is in the best interest of current users.

Grtz.

Nick