On 05/06/2018 13:57, KatolaZ wrote:
> I don't believe in fairy tales any more. For me Microsoft remains the
> same rabid dog we have seen so far, and there is nothing you or
> Microsoft can say to convince me otherwise. You said it above:
> Microsoft is in business, and business has nothing to do with being
> friendly. Business is for making profit, and Microsoft has shown to be
> able to bring this principle to the extreme, tending to make profit
> literally *at all costs*.
>
> It seems that you like Microsoft a lot. Good luck with that. Maybe
> they might also decide to hire you one day or another. They need
> enthusiastic ex-open-source-evangelists like Miguel De Icaza to
> support their cause.
>
> I prefer to continue avoiding it actively, as you avoid a rabid dog.

As I said a couple of times in this thread, I'm not a fan of Microsoft.
I dislike many of the things they have done, from what they did to Stac
Electronics to their direction with Windows-as-a-service, and a lot in
between. But, despite this, I don't hate them either. It seems to me to
be more useful to try to be dispassionate and to objectively analyse
what they are doing today and what their direction seems to be. One
should never think they are nice, of course.

Right now (and for the foreseeable future) it seems to me that they
simply *must* play well with open source to ensure their survival, and
so that is exactly what they are doing.

Is Miguel De Icaza an "ex" open source evangelist? As far as I know he's
working at the NET Foundation on open source projects (or so it says on
Wikipedia). Xamarin is open source right now. It's a key part of
Microsoft's cross-platform developer story and it's open source, it's
being developed by Microsoft, and it's being promoted by Microsoft. As
far as I can see, Miguel De Icaza is still very much an open source
evangelist, despite working (indirectly) for Microsoft. Just because
it's Microsoft doesn't mean it's somehow not open source.

I understand what you mean about avoiding a rabid dog but Ballmer's long
gone. ;-)

--
Mark Rousell