Hi Don,

Don Wright writes:

> [ ... ASCII using Expert (text) from devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1.iso ...]
>
> Upon successful boot into the system things looked good locally, until I
> tried to SSH to the box. Not there! While /etc/network/interfaces has the
> settings I expected, the GUI showed wicd had ignored them and called DHCP to
> create all new and mostly wrong settings.
>
> #apt remove wicd soon cleaned that up, but who the systemd thought it was a
> good idea to ignore! working! static! IP! settings! and install an unwelcome
> network mangler in the first place? Take a purgative, get your heads out of
> your ASCII, and stop your wicd ways from overriding traditional handcrafted,
> all-natural, artisanal, text-based config files.

The output of `apt-cache rdepends wicd` using various combinations of
the --recurse and --no-* options indicate that just about any, if not
all, of the task-*-desktop packages recommend it, either directly or
indirectly.  Some may even prefer network-manager ... putting you
between a rock and a hard place.

> The guilty parties should lose an inch of *nix beard each in penance.

The guilty parties would mostly be the task-*-desktop packagers ;-) but
if you are comfortable with the installer's Expert mode, why not forego
the installation of a desktop and run

  apt install task-desktop wicd-

after the initial system install?

> [ Semi-humorous howls of rage aside: Does the installed system ignore static
> IP by design? ]

Not if you don't install a desktop ;-)
# You mentioned installing on a Lenove Think*Server*.  I *never* put a
# desktop on my servers ...

Hope this helps,