On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:58:56PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:

> >> Being pedantic, that’s not the same - and you **should** know that.
> >> IMO there’s a choice to be made - do we (collectively) want to be
> >> inclusive and support all those who don’t know much about computing but
> >> want to try an alternative to Mac/Windows; or do we (collectively) want to
> >> stay elitist and show an attitude that “people should know these things” ?
> >
> > [cut]
> >
> > Unfortunately, there is no middle-ground here. We have been telling
> > people for years that running proprietary software is potentially
> > harmful for their privacy and security. The result is that 98% (and
> > maybe more) of all the CPUs on this planet run a proprietary operating
> > system with proprietary software.
> <other examples deleted>
>
> I think you missed the point.
>
> All I’m suggesting is that on the download page there are the AMD64 images
> first, then a note giving very basic suggestions not to use i[3-6]86 images
> unless you need to AND PROVIDE LINKS TO SOME GOOD WRITEUPS. It’s not trying
> to force people to do anything - just give them a pointer to information that
> (apparently) quite a few people aren’t aware of.

I think you probably missed the point here. believe it or not, there
are genuinely thousands of people who use i686 images because they
happen to have i686 machines. The percentage of those in Devuan is not
that different from the percentage seen in Debian.

I can't see any good reason not to use an i686 image if you have an
i686 CPU...

HND

KatolaZ