Hi,

Bruce Ferrell writes:

> [...]
>
> If I understand the original question "how to I get sysV init to not
> start a process present in the init system", There is a command,
> chkconfig:

Make that: "there *was* a command, chkconfig:"

It's no longer present in Debian stable (stretch) and later.  You can
still find it in oldstable (jessie) though.  See

https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=any&searchon=contents&keywords=chkconfig

# Searching in unstable (sid) lists the command for a small subset of
# architectures but a chkconfig package does not seem to exist ...

Hope this helps,