On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 04:33:32AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:

> I forgot the details why, but during the process I resorted to a small
> Debian partition.  Every piece of hardware was supported perfectly,
> including even that machine's USB wifi card.

I've found a Linux partition is essential for installing WIndows.
Every time Windows requests a reboot, I suborn it ny rebooting to
Linux, doing a complete nackup of the Windows system, and then
rebooting to resume the installation.

When the installer crashes, I restore the lastest partly installed
Windows from backup and resume.

Worked like a charm.

Of course, that was years and years ago.  I don't have any idea what
installing WIndows is like now.

-- hendrik