[let's see if I can send to the list instead of replying to an individual this
time.......]

On Tuesday 18 December 2018 11:30:47 am g4sra via Dng wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > You are confusing a simple config file that is read once and for all
> > during boot time (the config file on raspberry pis) with the complete
> > installation of a new system. They are not even comparable. There is
> > no thing like "oh I re-run the installer configuration to change the
> > layout of my partitions".....
>
> No, building a system under the concept I am trying to describe is a two
> step procedure. You are still merging both steps into one.
>
> Even simpler explanation (so simple it is wrong).
>
> Stage 1) install kernel using program 1 from installation media.
>
> -- reboot --
>
> Stage 2) Install GNOME using program 2 from running built system.

Replace TDE for GNOME and this is exactly my install procedure currently.
It’s a bit of a pita, because I didn’t know the below, so you have zero
desktop and are working in a root shell.

On Tuesday 18 December 2018 12:53:11 pm KatolaZ wrote:
> Are you familiar with the Debian/Devuan installer? "tasksel" is the
> installer component that lets you choose which set of packages you
> want to install *after* the base system has been installed. It
> includes selections like "XFCE desktop", "KDE Desktop", "Printer
> server", "SSH server", "web server", "Console productivity", "Standard
> system utilities", etc. You choose what you want, it installs the
> corresponding packages. If you change idea after installation, you
> just run again "tasksel" (from the installed system) and change your
> selections. It's already there.

Documenting that you can run "tasksel" (from the installed system) on the
initial install screen would be very useful.