Le 10/03/2019 à 11:22, k...@aspodata.se a écrit :
Since nowadays the kernel can provide devtmpfs, what is the role of
udev et al apart from handling usb devices ?

    1) Change owner, group and permissions because the kernel defaults everything to root.root and (I guess) 0600

    2) Create and populate /dev/disk/by-*, which is sometimes usefull on a desktop or laptop.

    3) Rename network devices (for people who want that)

    The first 2 items might be done by monitoring /dev with inotify. This must be checked though because, in principle, inotify only reports interactions with the VFS issued from userspace, which is why it doesn't work on /sys and /proc. Inotify works fine when /dev and /dev/disk/by-label are popluated by udev, but I didn't check with devtmpfs. We would then resort to reading the netlink.

        Didier