Hi All,
I just did apt-get update followed by dist-upgrade on a Beowulf
system, and I get this:

# apt-get dist-upgrade

Reading package lists... 0%

Reading package lists... 100%

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree... 0%

Building dependency tree... 0%

Building dependency tree... 50%

Building dependency tree... 50%

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... 0%

Reading state information... 0%

Reading state information... Done

Calculating upgrade... 0%

Calculating upgrade... 10%

Calculating upgrade... Done

  albatross-gtk-theme blackbird-gtk-theme bluebird-gtk-theme eom eom-common
  ffmpegthumbnailer fonts-cantarell gksu greybird-gtk-theme
  gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf libatkmm-1.6-1v5
  libayatana-appindicator3-1 libayatana-ido3-0.4-0 libayatana-indicator3-7
  libcairo-perl libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4
  libept1.5.0 libffmpegthumbnailer4v5 libgksu2-0 libglib-perl
  libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgtk2-perl
  libgtkmm-3.0-1v5 libgtop-2.0-10 libgucharmap-2-90-7 libmate-menu2
  libmate-slab0 libmate-window-settings1 libmatedict6 libmatekbd-common
  libmatekbd4 libmatemixer-common libmatemixer0 libmateweather-common
  libmateweather1 libpango-perl libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libpulse-mainloop-glib0
  librda-common librda0 libupower-glib3 mate-applets-common mate-backgrounds
  mate-control-center-common mate-icon-theme mate-icon-theme-faenza mate-media
  mate-media-common mate-menus mate-panel-common mate-polkit-common
  mate-power-manager-common mate-screensaver mate-screensaver-common
  mate-settings-daemon-common mate-system-monitor mate-system-monitor-common
  mate-themes mate-utils mate-utils-common menu menu-xdg murrine-themes
  python-gi python-mate-menu
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  brltty libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0 mate-applets mate-control-center
  mate-core mate-desktop-environment mate-desktop-environment-core
  mate-desktop-environment-extra mate-desktop-environment-extras mate-panel
  mate-polkit mate-power-manager mate-settings-daemon policykit-1 synaptic
  cinnabar-icon-theme clearlooks-phenix-cinnabar-theme desktop-base
  gtk3-nooverlayscrollbar libfreeimage-dev libfreeimage3 libpcsclite1
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0
9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 15 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,763 kB of archives.
After this operation, 20.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

I did apt-get install on brltty and the mate packages to mark them as
manually installed, but apt-get update dist-upgrade again still
insists on removing them. Is this a known issue? If yes, then what is
the work around. I don't want to uninstall a well running desktop just
so I can install it again. Thanks. As far as install report for this
system, it was upgraded to Beowulf from a minimal fresh Ascii install
back in June with no problems.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net