It's been a while since I last did anything with VPNs on Linux, and I recall
there being 3 options, some of which were "less well supported" than others.
I'm looking to setup a site-site tunnel so I can remotely access stuff at mum's
(she's in isolation because of this Covid 19 stuff) and using remote desktop
control, connect her Mac to a video call.

So what's the state of play in the VPN on Linux world - both ends would be
running Devuan (one end an AMD64 VM, the other end rPi) ? Last thing I used was
OpenVPN which AIUI is completely non-interoperable with anything else, while
FreeSwan and OpenSwan were having a bun fight.

Simon