On 9/26/20 6:55 PM, Gregory Nowak wrote:
On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:54:14PM -0700, Marc Shapiro via Dng wrote:
The issue that I am having is with sound.  My daughter reported that it was
not working.  I tried playing a video (in Firefox) from my login and also
got no sound.
You've already gotten good suggestions in this thread. I'd concur with
the advice to get rid of pulseaudio, and use ALSA. If a particular
application requires pulseaudio, install the apulse package, and start
that application through apulse.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is to make sure that each
user who is supposed to be able to play sound is a member of the audio
group. If they aren't in the audio group, add them to the audio group,
log them out, and log them back in. Note, I get sound in Beowulf in
firefox just fine with out pulseaudio installed.

3) The 'play' utility from the sox package gives an error whenever I try to
play an mp3 file.  Using 'aplay' to play .wav files works fine.  What do I
need to do to play mp3s from the commandline?
Do you have the libsox-fmt-mp3 package installed? Better yet, unless
you have some reason not to, just install the libsox-fmt-all
package. For playing music from the command line, I use mplayer. As
you've discovered, aplay works too, and play should work as well once
you install the necessary format support.

Greg

I do run Firefox, which is why I have pulseaudio installed.  When pulse is running, I have had no issues with it.  The problem was that, for whatever reason, pulse was not starting for all users when they logged in.  I added a line to start it in each .bashrc and that problem was solved.  The problem with mp3s from the commandline was the lack of libsox-fmt-mp3.  I installed libsox-fmt-all and that issue is solved, as well.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.  I think that this installation is ready to leave running and see if my wife and daughter have any issues with it.

Marc