On 2020-11-17 07:16, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 06:07:31AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
About the time I upgraded to Bwowulf I experienced periodic problems
having the mouse pasting scanneted text with middle mouse button.

I find that sometimes the mouse remembers scanned text but then is
unable to paste it. The problem comes and goes with my wired mouse but
is always present with my wireless mouse. It primarily occurs when
copying text from a GUI application such as displayed by a browser and
then pastting it into a text based application such as nano. But I
find that I can (usually?) correct the problem by scanning and pasting
a bit of text in nano and then do it with a GUI application.

Anyone have any idea of what might be going on?

A wild guess.  Linux has over the ages acquired (at least) two cut and
paste mechanisms -- one from the underlying X system, and another from
the desktop systems put on top.  They don't always agree as to what has
to be cut and pasted; I suspect each has its own paste buffer.  They
oftern communicate but not always.  There have been  occasions where I
have had to cut in one pieve of software, paste into emacs, and then cut
from emacs with the other mechanism and paste where I intended
originally.

Also:  a lot of mouses have a middle scroll button that doubles as a
middle clickable button. There can be a mechanical problem here; when I
click on my middle button, I sometimes get a click, sometimes one step
of a scroll (usually upwards), and sometimes both.  Annoying.  It takes
come carefulness to get the signal I want.

-- hendrik

My old PS2 rollerball mouse developed this annoyance with a middle scroll click even in jessie. So nothing new. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't and I have to recopy.

golinux