On 18/11/2020 13:38, tito via Dng wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 12:10:19 +0100
Alessandro Vesely via Dng <dng@lists.dyne.org> wrote:

I enabled core dumps in /etc/security/limits.d/coredump.conf (* -
core unlimited);  core_pattern and suid_dumpable are set
appropriately.  However, most processes have a soft limit of 0; that
is, core dump disabled:

# for p in $(ps -e -o pid| tail -n +1); do prlimit --noheadings
--core --pid $p 2>/dev/null; done | sort |uniq -c 1 CORE     max core
file size    0    0 bytes 260 CORE     max core file size    0
unlimited bytes 44 CORE     max core file size unlimited unlimited
bytes

Only 44 processes have coredump enabled.  Why?  I looked for 'ulimit'
in /etc/init.d, .bashrc's, and other starters, but found nothing
relevant.

The one with hard limit 0 is ssh-agent, presumably set by the program
itself for obvious security reasons.

Who is soft-disabling core dumps for the other 260?

Apparmor?

Hmm... I have apparmor=0 in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, but still have an apparmor script in /etc/init.d. Can it still bite?

Curiously, the shell in the root terminal window had 0. But all daemons were already started by the time I could put my fingers on a shell's input.

Best
Ale