I now have a new VDSL connexion now, which is supposed to go at 25Mbits/sec
downstream and 10 Mbits/sec upstream.  Bell has been here and has
checked that it is working, using their modem.

Now I'd like to get it to actually work, which means that *my* modem has
to be able to talk VDSL.

It turns out that I have to reconfigure the modem, and I have
instructions to do that.

The first step is to use a browser to connect to http://192.168.1.1

Now that means I have to configure my routing tables so that packets to
192.168.1.1 will go to port ethv0, which is where the modem is
connected.

One or two routing table entries should do it.

I have found several authoritative-looking web pages on instructions to
display and edit the routing tables.

But none of them explains what the routing tabe entries *mean*.

Anybody have some Linux routing experience or links to explanations?

The last time I had to mess with any of this was about 15 years ago, and
I've quite forgotten the details.

-- hendrik