On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 19:41:28 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng <dng@lists.dyne.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> d...@d404.nl writes:

> >> Most of the worries mentioed here seem a bit overblown, but still
> >> need to be considered.
> >> But I did look at those mentions of systemd.  The one I found
> >> worrisome was the first:
> >>
> >>    * Add smoke autopkgtest that can run in containers.
> >>      Add a simple test of cockpit-bridge and the login page to
> >> ensure that packages have the right dependencies and contents, and
> >> that the systemd units are set up correctly to get a login page on
> >>      https://localhost:9090.
> >>      This can also run in a container and thus in Debian's CI and
> >> on all
> >>
> >> If systemd becomes an integral par of Debian's packaging system,
> >> it may cause us difficulties.
> >>
> >> -- hendrik

> > Not hindered by any knowledge about system programming I am
> > wondering how much work it would be to implement a socket
> > activation interface without systemd. Although what I read about
> > its design it is unnecessary complicated. Using a tinylog component
> > in systemd until syslogd is loaded is one example of such
> > complicating solution.
> >
> > Has anyone invested some time in analyzing systemd's socket
> > activation and mind to share it on this list or in email?
>
> When I read[1]
>
>   Cockpit itself doesn’t eat resources or even run in the background
>   when you’re not using it. It runs on demand, thanks to systemd
> socket activation.

Hi,
would it be possible to start it with a initscript and let it run?
and totally ignore this socket stuff?

> all I could think of was that inetd and xinetd have been doing that
> job for a (couple of) decade(s) already.
>
> The only other mention of systemd on that webpage is one in a longish
> "subset of tasks you can perform on each host running Cockpit" that
> says you can
>
>   Inspect and interact with systemd-based services

Having briefly looked and grepped the source when I removed webmin
from my systems (when it was backdoored) the biggest problem
is that cockpit calls systemctl, hostnamectl and friends directly so
without systemd functionality is crippled as no alternative functions
are provided. It could be an idea and helpful for devuan mastering
the systemd dependency epidemic to create some wrappers for
this systemd binaries as compatibility layer rather than try to modify
every program out there that thinks it needs to depend on systemd,
that way you just modify the dependencies of the cockpit package,
resign it and you are good to go.

just my 0,2 cents.

Ciao,
Tito