> On 10 Dec 2021, at 19:01, wirelessd...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>> On 10 Dec 2021, at 18:27, d...@d404.nl wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10-12-2021 02:57, wirelessduck--- via Dng wrote:
>>> Has anyone noticed issues when trying to switch from Docker to Podman
>>> in Devuan chimaera?
>>>
>>> I'm getting an error when trying to run the latest `hadolint` image in
>>> Podman which doesn't occur under Docker.
>>>
>>> $ docker run -it docker.io/hadolint/hadolint:v2.8.0 hadolint
>>> Please provide a Dockerfile
>>>
>>> $ podman run -it docker.io/hadolint/hadolint:v2.8.0 hadolint
>>> hadolint: getXdgDirectory:getHomeDirectory:getUserEntryForID: does not
>>> exist (No such file or directory)
>>>
>>> Does this happen for anyone else, or have I broken something?  I just
>>> uninstalled docker and ran `apt-get install podman
>>> debian-podman-config-override` so I haven't touched any other
>>> configuration settings yet.
>>>
>>> Podman does provide an upstream package repository
>>> (https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:kubic:libcontainers:stable/podman)
>>> which I wanted to use to try the newer release version but
>>> unfortunately their podman package has a dependency on
>>> `dbus-user-session` making it unusable from Devuan.  I'll try to spin
>>> up a daedalus VM to test the newer version if the repositories for
>>> that are ready to go.
>>>
>> If i remember correctly Podman coming from Redhat depends heavily on systemd
>> which is of course not available in Devuan. But please let us know if you
>> succeed to run it under Devuan.
>>
>> Grtz
>>
>> Nick
>
> The packages in the Debian archive do not have a systemd dependency, for both
> bullseye/chimaera and also bookworm/daedalus and also sid/ceres too.
>
> I can run the hello-world image, and also the hadolint-debian and
> hadolint-alpine images too without problem.

So after more testing with Devuan testing and Debian testing it fails on both
of those for the latest Podman version.

If I test on Debian 11 with the upstream Kubic repository, then it is
successful.

This leads me to think there is possibly something missing from the Debian
packaging for Podman. I will report on Debian BTS.