Le 10/02/2022 à 02:34, aitor a écrit :

Hi Didier,

On 9/2/22 16:36, Didier Kryn wrote:
And, if you haven't a server like ifupdown or netplug, you're going to need to restart networking everytime you plug/unplug your Ethernet cable.

Well, you mean *ifplugd* or netplug..., I understand.

    Yep (~:

Try with "auto" and "allow-hotplug" together, both at once. That is:

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

With this configuration, plug/unplug events will be automatically detected.

    Maybe plug/unplug of devices are detected, but I doubt plug/unplug of Ethernet cable are, though I didn't try because I should have uninstalled ifplugd for the test to be conclusive.

    But I made a minimum testing: I just inserted the doube stanza you suggest, for the eth0 interface of my laptop, and the net effect on reboot is a long delay with the message that ifup is waiting for a lock file the name of which contains "eth0". I would have bet some bucks on this result (~:

    My normal interfaces file contains an "auto" stanza for wlan0, which is superfluous, according to messages from ifplugd, and *only* "iface eth0 inet dhcp" for eth0 because it comes first in the file and "auto" and/or "allow-hotplug" can just cause the abovementionned delay when no Ethernet cable is connected. Again, "auto" and/or "allow-hotplug" are useless when you have ifplugd managing eth0 and wlan0; they can only cause a startup delay. Even on my desktop, which only has an Ethernet connection, eth0 is managed by ifplugd and there is no "auto" or "allow-hotplug" stanza. This allows smooth functionning when the machine is moved around and the Ethernet cable plugged/unplugged and/or the DSL modem/router is restarted.

I'll answerin detail to the rest of your post shortly, when I have time.

    I'd like a lot to learn more on this. I reached a consistent understanding based on experiments, but it's certainly not definitive and I know you're looking at things more in depth.

    Cheers.

--     Didier