On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:38:05AM -1000, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> In any case, by enabling the 5GHz radio with AC mode,
> WPA2-PSK and 80MHz signal width my BCM43228 associated with
> the router and received an IP address.

I'm not familiar with that particular chipset. However, based on the
above, that would suggest your network card presents the 5 GHz radio
on wlan0, and the 2.4 GHz radio on wlan1.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 08:54:06PM +0100, Florian Zieboll via Dng wrote:
> With both available USB-WiFi-Dongles (rtl8192cu and rt2800usb), I can
> see the devices
>
>       $ iw dev
>       $ iw list
> resp.
>       $ iw phy0 info
>
> as well as the available networks
>
>       $ iw wlan0 scan
>
> but dhclient times out, when querying the "Fritzbox":
>
>       No DHCPOFFERS received.
>       No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>
> Installing NetworkManager via Android-AP and '/etc/network/interfaces',
> as an "emergency workaround", solved the issue for now. Interestingly,
>
>       $ iw dev
>
> tells me, that I am not connected with 5GHz, as I first had assumed,
> but on
>
>       channel 11 (2462 MHz), width: 20 MHz, center1: 2462 MHz

I saw something similar on openwrt 21 on a gl.inet ar750 router. What
they did was to switch around the frequencies used by wlan0, and
wlan1. This was done by defining the band to use in the radio0 and
radio1 sections of /etc/config/wifi. How that actually does what it
does behind the scenes of UCI abstraction I wasn't able to figure out.

The result of this was that I needed to rmmod the modules used by one
card, run wifi down, uncomment the band lines in each radio section, and run
wifi up with no networks enabled in order to scan for networks on a
particular band, and then I needed to run wifi down,
reverse changes in /etc/config/wifi, modprobe modules, and run wifi up to
connect to a
network.

I wondered why they did this, until I discovered that using I believe the 5 GHz
radio in the 5 GHz band caused both wifi radios to become
unresponsive. I needed to either reboot the router, or rmmod all wifi
modules, and modprobe them again to regain wifi functionality.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1