On 5/18/22 17:46, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 02:47:25PM -0700, Fred wrote:
Hello,

I normally use openbox for window manager but I would like to try fvwm. Can
this be done without disrupting openbox and how to do it?

Run X on a free virtual terminal, then you'll start fvwm and, say,
xterm on that:

E.g.:
$ sudo /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth $HOME/fvwm-trial.auth :2 vt09
$ DISPLAY=:2
$ fvwm&
$ xterm&

That will start an X server on vt9 with display identity :2, with fvwm
and an xterm. Shift to it with C-A-F9 and shift back with C-A-F7.

Ralph.
Hi Ralph,

I assume that when I install fvwm first it won't automagically replace openbox?

Your sudo command line and following commands are executed in an openbox xterm which starts fvwm in the "void" and the C-A-F9 switches out of openbox and into fvwm?

When I am done evaluating fvwm I can stop it by kill -9 whatever-its-PID is? Or is there a proper way?

Best regards,
Fred