On Wed, 23 Apr 2014, Nicholas Weaver wrote:

b:  DO NOT USE PORT 53 for this:  There are far far too many networks (1%+)
that reinterpret DNS requests or just outright block all DNS to non-approved
servers, and more still which block non-DNS over DNS.

Yes, I fully agree with this. It was a major objection for me to CurveDNS
as well

No, I fully disagree with this. Port 53 TCP has a much better chance at
working these days than a random other newly assigned port.

I'll go get a comfort coffee now.....

Paul
ps. leaning towards "custom crypto that fits in DNS formats"